Firstly, we should answer the question of what exactly constitutes a Hybrid bike? To put it simply, it is a mixture of two bikes. A road and mountain bike to be more precise. Hybrids combine the relaxed riding position of an MTB with the speed and efficiency of a road bike. The result is a bike that is comfortable, fun, and perfect for everyday rides on varied terrain. Here we take you through the various models that make up the Ribble Hybrid range.
Electric bikes amplify the pedalling power of the rider by providing a boost of assistance to each pedal stroke. Enabling the rider to keep up on hilly group rides and conquer the rides that take them outside their comfort zone. They provide budding cyclists with the opportunity to build up fitness at their own pace. Seasoned cyclists can also enjoy riding a bike again when recovering from illness or injury. Simply put, an e-bike provides you with the ability to ride where you like, whenever you like. Without being restricted by distance or terrain.
Every electric bike in the Ribble Hybrid range is equipped with the MAHLE SmartBike Systems X35+ hub drive motor system. There is also an optional companion app to enhance the e-bike experience. When downloaded to a compatible smartphone, the app raises bike and rider interaction to a new level. Providing up to date information on the e-bike system and recording ride data for analysis and training purposes.
Every Ribble e-bike is equipped with a pedal-assist system and requires rider input at all times. Assistance will only be provided up to a maximum of 15.5mph, as dictated by local regulations. When this speed is exceeded, the motor will automatically cut out. It will then re-engage when the speed drops below the limit once more.
In terms of range, a full battery charge is good for approximately 60-miles. However, this figure will be lower if maximum assistance is engaged for the entirety of a hilly ride. There are so many variables that accurately assessing an e-bikes range is extremely difficult. These include route profile, rider weight/fitness, riding style, tyre pressure, temperature and many more.
Hybrid AL e
The Hybrid AL e’s hub drive motor delivers 3 levels of smooth power assistance at the push of a button. For a ride so smooth that you may just forget that it’s electric. With a replaceable slimline battery hidden neatly within the downtube, you would be hard-pressed to tell it was an e-bike at all. The easy-to-use top-tube mounted control button allows you to select your desired assistance level, in addition to displaying the battery level. A confidence-inspiring upright riding position provides all-day comfort and lets you keep your eyes on the road.
Click here to view the Hybrid AL e
Hybrid AL e Step Through
With a hop-on/off design and flat handlebars, everything about this bike is designed to inspire confidence. It allows you to mount the bike without the necessity of swinging a leg over the top tube and saddle. A handlebar-mounted control button provides access to 3 levels of assistance without needing to take your hands off the bars. Leaving you free to concentrate on enjoying the sights and sounds around you.
Click here to view the Hybrid AL e Step Through
Urban AL e
The Urban AL e’s contemporary style and easy-to-use power assistance will quickly make it your ideal companion as you zip around town; running errands, shopping, or commuting to work/university. Every aspect has been designed to make your everyday ride easier. There are front and rear racks for luggage/groceries, integrated lights, mudguards and a bell to announce your presence to your fellow city-goers.
Click here to view the Urban AL e.
Each model in the Ribble Hybrid AL e range (except the Urban AL e) is available in two build options. First up is the standard build which includes the single ring simplicity of an SRAM 1×11 speed gear system. Only having one ring at the front simplifies shifting and provides a wider range of gears for easier pedalling when the terrain steepens.
Option 2 is the ‘Fully Loaded’ edition. It offers exactly the same gearing options as the standard build. However, it also includes all of the everyday essentials that you could ever need for the everyday commute to work or tour of the countryside. Each accessory listed is fitted during the build process.
- A colour-matched pannier rack to enable up to 20kg of luggage to be carried. Ideal for carrying a change of clothes, laptop, or picnic. (the Urban AL e gets its own front and rear racks)
- Be safe and be seen with Ribble’s own rechargeable light set. A 300-lumen front and 25-lumen rear light add visibility on dimly lit roads. (the Urban AL e has built in lights)
- Announce your prescence with a compact yet powerful Ribble alloy bell.
- Full-coverage mudguards fend off the dirt to keep you cleaner and drier when caught out in wet weather.
The Hybrid AL is a simply stunning bike with classic British styling and lightweight, yet robust Aluminium engineering. This highly versatile bike is perfect for everyday rides, everything from commuting to family days out with the kids and anything in between. A stylishly colour-matched integrated handlebar and stem allows the rider to achieve a more upright and relaxed riding position. The Hybrid AL is available in 2 build options, the Leisure and Leisure Fully Loaded.
Hybrid AL Leisure
Whether your cycling adventures take you on-road or off it, this Leisure build is fully equipped to help you take it all in stride.
- The single ring simplicity of SRAM’s NX 1×11 speed gear system offers reliably smooth shifting and a wide range of gears to help conquer any climbs that come your way.
- Hydraulic disc brakes deliver total braking confidence and control on any terrain and even in the worst of conditions.
- MTB style 650b wheels fitted with wide and supple 650b tyres provide a shock-absorbing ride over uneven terrain with enhanced traction, control and grip.
- Pannier rack and mudguard compatibility, for luggage carrying and wet weather protection.
Click here to view the Hybrid AL Leisure
Hybrid AL Leisure Fully Loaded
The Fully Loaded Edition is equipped with SRAM’s NX 1×11 speed groupset. NX1 delivers single-ring simplicity for an easy to use and intuitive gear shifting experience. Offering smooth and reliable gear shifts with a gear range wide enough to take on the steepest climbs.
Click here to view the Hybrid AL Leisure Fully Loaded
It also includes all of the extra accessories that you could ever need for long days of exploration, casual day trips or the more adventurous daily commute. These include the following accessories which are fitted during the build.
- Colour matched pannier rack. The rack perfectly matches the paintwork of the frame and allows up to 20kgs of luggage to be carried.
- Be seen with Ribble’s own powerful and rechargeable light set, a 300-lumen front and 25-lumen rear light for added visibility on dimly lit roads.
- Be heard with a compact yet powerful bell.
- Lightweight and sturdy mudguards keep you cleaner and drier when caught out by wet weather.
Hybrid Trail AL
The Hybrid Trail AL is a supremely versatile option for when your spirit for adventure encourages you to explore further afield. Like all models in the Hybrid range, it offers a head-up riding position for enhanced comfort and a commanding view of the road ahead. To improve its all-road credentials yet further, the Hybrid Trail gets a set of suspension forks to absorb the bumps and 29″ MTB wheels and tyres that make short work of tree roots and any debris on the trail.
Click here to view the Hybrid Trail AL
- SRAM’s NX1x11 speed delivers an easy-to-use and intuitive shifting experience. Offering smooth and precise shifts and a gear range that will encourage you to explore further than you had ever imagined.
- Suntour NCX suspension forks provide 65mm of travel for soaking up the bumps when riding along rough surfaces, forest trails, canal towpaths etc.
- Mavic Crossmax 29 wheels – the increased diameter of these MTB wheels helps them roll faster when riding off-road. A selection of tyres is available in BikeBuilder so you can fine-tune your ride to excel on tarmac, off-road or opt for an all-rounder setup for the best of both worlds.
The fixed gear/single-speed option in the versatile Ribble Hybrid range. A perfect blend of our fixie know-how and fixed-gear/single-speed simplicity. Built around a modern handcrafted Reynolds 725 steel frame is a package that offers dependability without compromise. The fixie/single speed is synonymous with cycle couriers and commuters alike due to its almost maintenance-free durability.
Click here to view the Urban 725S
- A beautifully crafted British Steel Reynolds 725 frame with matching cromoly forks. The ‘spring’ of steel provides natural shock absorption from road buzz.
- Single-speed drivetrain – single-speed gearing allows you to freewheel as you would on any standard bike.
- Fixed gear – flip the rear wheel around and you have a fixed gear bike which is similar to a track bike. When you stop pedalling the freehub locks up and acts like a rear brake. The fixie takes a little getting used to but is a popular choice with urban cyclists and even has its own community of enthusiasts.
- LEVEL track wheels – Large flange hubs and medium profile alloy rims provide superb structural integrity for a smooth and dependable ride. A flip/flop design enables the fitting of a fixed gear sprocket on one side of the hub and a single-speed on the other.
Why not spread the cost of your new bike purchase? With the Cycle to Work scheme, you can make huge savings and pay for the bike monthly via salary sacrifice. Click here for details.
Not sure what we mean when we refer to gearing? Check out our guide to gears here.
In the market for a gravel bike but not sure what to buy? Check out our CGR vs Gravel blog for the full lowdown on the differences between these highly capable models.